Mesquite, NV (January 18, 2022) —
The City of Mesquite issued a media release as of about 11:00 am, suspending all distribution of the BinaxNOW COVID-19 self-test kits. The reason for the suspension is that all of the 6,000 kits in stock were distributed by the Mesquite Fire and Rescue via drive-thru behind City Hall at 10 E. Mesquite Blvd. Besides the 6,000 kits, an additional 3,000 kits were handed out to larger employers who had at least 20 employees or more.
MFR Captain Spencer Lewis was asked when more self-test kits would be available for distribution and the reply was more vague than specific. “The truth of the matter is we just don’t know. This last kits we were notified and had less than 24 hours to pick them up from the Southern Nevada Health District.”
Lewis stated that with the kits there is not a definitive date on when they will be here. It is just when they get them they will immediately plan a distribution drive thru for the community members. He also stated that the leaders of both local, state, and the Southern Nevada Health District are constantly working on getting more kits.
“As soon as we have our hands on the kits, they go out almost immediately, so remember to follow all Mesquite government agencies like Mesquite Police Department and Mesquite Fire and Rescue, as well as, City of Mesquite on social media as we will post the distribution date as soon as the kits come in and the distribution is planned.”
Also in relation to the recent promised 500 million COVID-19 self-take tests that President Joe Biden has promised in the federal government buying to distribute amongst American citizens, Lewis reminded that is a whole different ordeal than on the State and Local levels.
“We will have to see if the pharmaceutical companies will view the President’s demand as a priority over ours that we have ordered more than a month ago or not,” said Captain Lewis. “Right now due to the pandemic, we really don’t have specific timelines for more self-take tests. It is really, really hard to know exactly when we will be restocked.”
Again, the City of Mesquite would like to thank all those who assisted in the distribution particularly the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) and Mesquite Police Department (MPD) volunteers.
“We really are so grateful for all of those who have been helping out with the distribution process,” said Captain Lewis. “They have been extremely patient and faithful to the cause and for that we are forever thankful.”
MFR Captain Spencer Lewis just reminded people to take the precautionary steps recommended by the Southern Nevada Health District and to be patient as everyone involved is working hard to bring more self-test kits here to the wonderful people of Mesquite and around. He gave a reminder when more supply comes in, that all residents who come to get one must be able to provide proof of residency. The MFR Media Release also sent some additional sources and information for vaccination and testing for COVID-19.
Please see below for additional information on local resources for COVID-19 testing and vaccination.
- Curative is offering PCR testing in Mesquite. Log onto their website, Curative.com, to book your appointment. Appointments are available Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The testing location is at The Jimmie Hughes Campus at 150 North Yucca Street near the Mesquite SNHD clinic. If you are visually impaired or need additional assistance, please call Curative’s support line at 888-702-9042 to find and book an appointment.
- Walgreens Pharmacy is offering COVID-19 PCR testing and vaccination by appointment only. Please contact at https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing?ext=gmb
- Smith’s Food & Drug is offering COVID-19 vaccination by appointment only.
Please contact Smith’s at https://www.smithsfoodanddrug.com/rx/guest/get-vaccinated
- Wal-Mart is accepting walk-ins for PCR testing and vaccinations. Vaccination appointments are at https://www.walmart.com/cp/flu-shots-immunizations/1228302.
Appointments for testing may be scheduled at http://www.questcovid19.com/
- Our local SNHD office is offering vaccinations by appointment only. Please contact SNHD at https://nvhealthresponse.nv.gov/find-covid-19-testing-in-nevada/
- Every home in the U.S. is eligible to order 4 free at-home COVID-19 tests. The tests are completely free. Orders will usually ship in 7-12 days. The tests can be ordered at https://www.covidtests.gov/